Rochester Green Living was founded by Peter Turkow and Lindsay D'Ambrosia, our goal is to help lower the environmental impact of the homes and lives of those living in the greater Rochester area. To reach that goal we provide workshops in sustainability, promote local green events, provide a free local resource in sustainable information, and create connections to other green organizations throughout New York. We hope we will be the first stop on your journey to a deeper understanding of sustainability.
- Experienced in cordwood, strawbale, earthbag, earthen plasters, earthroofs, permaculture & microscaping and project management.
- Assisted in building a 40ft diameter, round cordwood home covered with geodesic dome www.daycreek.com/dc/HTML/Turkow.htm
- Designed and built 2 story cordwood workshop/garage approx 32x22 with 22x10ft deck
- Organizer of hands-on natural building workshops.
- Latest project 12 x14 ft cordwood guesthouse features include earthroof, fireplace, hand made furniture, reclaimed tile flooring and most all materials came from my property, craigslist, side of the road or local store.
Board member of Center for Sustainable Living - Rochester NY (2007-present) http://www.living-sustainably.org/
- â€œThe Center for Sustainable Living recognizes the wisdom in natural systems that serve as models for ecological well-being. The Center provides a place for instructional programs and educational resources which integrate this knowledge into human ways of living."
- The Center for Sustainable Living facilities and programs primarily show how natural systems can be a model for human institutions in order to achieve sustainability.
Board member of Green Resource HUB Ithaca, NY (2007-2008)
â€œExpanding the regional marketplace for sustainable living.â€
- Classes and workshops in consumer education, workforce training and professional development
- Online tutorials, experts on demand, product showrooms, case studies and information resources
- Head of fundraising operations and part of Green Building 'experts on demand' initiative
Board member of Rochester Roots, Rochester, NY (2009 - Present)
"Let's Dig In!"
- Community Food Security, Urban Agriculture, Sustainable Agriculture, Community Development.
Founder of Rochester Green Living Meetup Group (2007- Present) - http://www.meetup.com/RochesterGreenLiving/
- Currently a network of over 200 members from WNY including; engineers, architects, contractors, green builders, business owners and the general public. We have hosted over 35 meetup events over the years with local businesses and community organizations. Most events are free but we also offer hands-on natural building workshops (cordwood, strawbale, cob, earthbags, green roofs, ect.).
Co-Founder of RochesterGreenLiving.com (May 2007 - Present)
- Designed to support local food and business, create cost efficient workshops in sustainability & green construction, promote local green events/happenings, a free local resource in sustainable information, eco-contracting service of earth-friendly shelters and to unite other green businesses/groups throughout NY (directory, info sharing, more complete events calendar).
- Initiate collaboration between WNY companies (non and for-profit) with sustainability included in their core value system.
- Speaking presentations, exclusive hands-on workshops and educational tours of area businesses. (We have held events at Harris Beach LLP, Golisano Institute of Sustainability at RIT, SUNY Brockport, City of Rochester, Town of Brighton, Southwedge Farmers Market, Freshwise Farms and many other local establishments)
Areas of interest/experience
cordwood, cob, straw-bale, rammed earth, earthships, treehouses, geothermal heating and cooling, underground and adobe construction methods, green & earth roofs, rain & greywater catchment systems, earth & bamboo flooring, earthships, permaculture, eco-villages, living/green machines, supporting local farmers & business, co-op housing, wind, solar, biodiesel and hydro power systems.